When you’re cold, tired and hungry, nothing beats a bit of rarebit. For those of you who have yet to have the pleasure, rarebit is basically cheese on toast.
This savoury sauce of melted cheese is poured over slices of toasted bread, or, in the case of Alright Treacle…Crab Rarebit. #genius
Almost all recipes call for cheddar, and Alright Treacle’s recipe is no different. The addition of a few key ingredients ensure that this rarebit is the best you have ever tasted.
The Whisky Sauce Co’s spicy scotch bonnet sauce, sweet crab and mature cheddar cheese combine to create a gooey, cheesy muddle of deliciousness.
- 1 crab
- 2 small cornichons
- 10g butter
- 50g cheddar cheese
- 20ml semi skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp scotch bonnet sauce
- 1 egg
- Melt the butter and grated cheese, then add the flour and slowly whisk in the milk until thoroughly combined, being careful not to let it split. Take off the heat for a minute or so, and then add the scotch bonnet sauce, egg and season to taste
- Mix together the brown and white meat of a pre-cooked crab with the chopped cornichons, and then press back in to the shell.
- Layer the sauce over the crab meat and either cook under a hot grill until puffed and golden brown, or cover with slightly less sauce and use a blow torch, which creates a lovely mottled effect.
- Serve with crusty bread and tender baby fennel for an aniseed crunch.