Forget about canteen style baked potatoes, these healthy loaded sweet potato skins are just delicious and sure to satisfy a hungry crowd. The perfect accompaniment for a meaty main course, a roast chicken, baked fish or simply served alone, sweet potatoes skins are a healthier alternative to normal potatoes, and a great source of potassium.
Bite through the salty, crispy skin into soft, seasoned mashed potato that packs as much of a punch as you please. Finish with crisp bacon, crème fraîche, melted cheese and chives. We warn you, you might never go back to regular potato skins…why wouldn’t love these?
Suitable for diets, sweet potatoes, although startchy, are relatively low in calories, high in fibre and have a low-glycemic index. In a nutshell, they are diet-friendly while allowing you to eat delicious food with substance. Baked, fried, boiled or mashed, sweet potatoes tick all the boxes.
We would love to see how you get on making these healthy loaded sweet potato skins. Tag your photo with #ohtastekitchen on Instagram.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (We suggest 1 whole potato per person)
- 1 cup grated cheese (we like half manchego, half mozzarella)
- 50g bacon bits, cooked until crispy
- Handful chopped spring onions
- Crème fraiche and chopped chives to serve
- 1 avocado
- 1 grated clove of garlic
- Handful of chopped coriander
- Handful of chopped spring onions
- 1/2 red chilli finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200C degrees. Pierce potatoes a few times each with a fork. Bake potatoes whole for 40-50 minutes. Remove potatoes and allow to cool slightly. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out flesh of sweet potato, leaving a thin layer of sweet potato inside.
- Add mashed up flesh to a medium bowl, mix in cheese (save a little to top potatoes with later), 1/2 bacon & the spring onions. Season.
- Fill each skin with an equal amount of mashed sweet potato and top each with remaining bacon and cheese. Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and top with guacamole, crème fraiche and chopped chives.
- Skins are best enjoyed straight out of the oven.