Whilst visiting Bali this Summer, we were lucky enough to stay at the gorgeous Uma by COMO just outside Ubud. Kemiri (meaning ‘candlenut’ in Bahasa) is the restaurant at Uma by COMO, Ubud, and serves the most spectacular breakfasts that we have ever had the pleasure of eating. Tables are set in a beautiful open-air space with alang-alang roofing beside a waterfall-fed pond.
Menus combine local produce with the techniques of classic Indonesian cuisine, with many innovative combinations. The chef at Kemiri is truly inspired and as well as a range of healthy options including Quinoa, Pear and Dried Cranberry Porridge with Cashew nut Milk and Nut & Seed Flatbread with Cashew Nut, Hummus, Avocado, Tomato & Rocket. However, of all the incredible dishes that we tried during our stay, there was one recipe that was truly outstanding. The Ricotta Hotcakes served with Banana and Salted Caramel Sauce are something we will probably never forget. They are ridiculously light, beyond belief really! A cross between a pancake, a soufflé and a cheesecake, these pancakes are a surefire way to put smiles on the faces around your dining table.
As well as perfect with bananas, these hotcakes are delicious with berries of any kind and of course, nutella. Who could ask for more?
- 200 D WHITE SUGAR
- 60 G DICED BUTTER
- 125 ML, ½ CUP CREAM
- 60 ML WATER
- 1 1/3 CUP RICOTTA CHEESE
- ¾ CUP MILK
- 4 EGGS SEPARATED
- 1 CUP PLAIN FLOUR
- 1 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
- A PINCH OF SALT
- STIR SUGAR AND WATER IN A SAUCEPAN OVER MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT UNTIL SUGAR DISSOLVES, BRING TO THE BOIL AND COOK UNTIL CARAMEL (6-8 MINUTES). ADD BUTTER (BE CAREFUL AS HOT CARAMEL WILL SPIT) AND WHISK TO COMBINE. ADD CREAM (BE CAREFUL AS MIXTURE WILL FOAM AND RISE) AND 1 TSP SEA SALT (OR TO TASTE) AND WHISK TO COMBINE. KEEP WARM.
- PLACE RICOTTA, MILK AND EGG YOLKS IN A MIXING BOWL AND WHISK TO COMBINE
- •SIFT IN THE FLOUR, BAKING POWDER AND SALT INTO THE BOWL, ADD THE RICOTTA MIXTURE AND MIX UNTIL JUST COMBINED
- •PLACE THE EGG WHITES IN A CLEAN BOWL AND WHISK UNTIL STIFF PEAKS FORM, FOLD EGG WHITES THROUGH THE BATTER IN 2 BATCHES WITH A LARGE SPOON